January 29, 2010

out with the unused, but not in with the new

in last weeks sunday paper there was an article in there about a family that had given up half of everything they had. they downsized from a three story house to a house about the same size as mine, but a little smaller. they gave away half of their clothes and even decided to give up half of all of their extracurricular activities. and over a year, just through the money they saved on their mortgage payment, they were able to pay for two epicenters in africa and were able to actually go out and see the families and communities that they gave a life back to.

my dad decided it was probably a good thing to do to our house and we decided to go through our closets and donate the clothes that we havent worn in a while, or were to small. me and my sister are now down to the fifteen shirts that we wear regularly and the clothes that are necessary for the upcoming season. my little sister ended up giving like three quarters of the clothes in our closet just because they didnt fit her or she didnt like them, or she was never going to fit her. but know i want to give them to those in haiti. but i dont know of anyone that is taking clothes for them. i guess that something i'll be doing to fill this otherwise empty, day. :)

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. :-) I'd love to do something like that, but my mom believes we don't have enough. :-/ Is it possible I could give my old stuff to you to give away? Hahaha just kidding...unless your family seriously could take them to whereever you're taking your stuff.

    ReplyDelete